Tenant rights and legal aid

You can seek legal assistance related to housing from relevant organisations for free or for a fee.

Tenants (or renters) in Denmark are protected by The Danish Rent Act. If you have been scammed or face problems with your landlord, you can seek help from the following organisations:   

The Rent Control Board (Huslejenævn) 

The Rent Control Board ('Huslejenævn' in Danish) settles disputes between landlords and tenants. Landlords and tenants pay a fee to bring a case to the board. 

Examples of cases that can be settled by The Rent Control Board:

  • The amount of rent in residential tenancies and in mixed commercial and residential tenancies
  • Rent increases according to the rules on cost-determined rent
  • Rental value increases
  • Tax and duty increases
  • Increases due to improvements and improvement notifications
  • Landlord's and tenant's duty for maintenance
  • Disagreement about the tenant's duty to repair in connection with eviction and cases about repayment of the deposit
  • Tenant's right to carry out improvement works in the apartment against compensation
  • Utilities accounts such as water and heating bills
  • Tenant's disregard of good manners and order in the property. Only the landlord can bring in these types of cases.

Learn more about The Rent Control Board in Copenhagen here. 

Read more about typical renting costs in Copenhagen here.

Copenhagen Legal Aid (Retshjælp) 

If you need free legal aid with contracts or other issues on renting a home, you can contact Copenhagen Legal Aid (Retshjælp in Danish). You need to fulfil certain conditions to receive free legal aid:

  • Your personal income must not exceed DKK 344,000 (2021) a year before tax if you are single
  • ​If you are married or living with a partner, your joint income must not exceed DKK 437,000 (2021) a year before tax.

Read more about Copenhagen Legal Aid