You are here

Tenant rights and legal aid

You can seek legal assistance related to housing from relevant organisations for free or for a fee.

Tenants (or renters) in Denmark are protected by the Danish rental act. If you have been scammed or face problems with your landlord, you can seek help from the following organisations:   

1. Tenants' Organisation (Lejernes Landsorganisation) 

The largest tenants’ organisation in Denmark is Lejernes Landsorganisation (LLO). It provides legal counselling in housing and rent matters for its members for a fee.  

Read more about LLO

2. Copenhagen Legal Aid (Retshjælp) 

If you need free legal aid with contracts or other issues on renting a home, you can contact Copenhagen Legal Aid (Retshjælp in Danish). You need to fulfil certain conditions to receive free legal aid:

  • Your personal income must not exceed DKK 336,000 (2020) a year before tax if you are single
  • ​If you are married or living with a partner, your joint income must not exceed DKK 427,000 (2020) a year before tax.

Read more about Copenhagen Legal Aid

3. Rent Control Board (Huslejenævn) 

The Rent Control Board (Huslejenævn in Danish) settles disputes between landlords and tenants. Landlords and tenants pay a fee to bring a case to the rent control board. 

Examples of cases that can be settled by the rent control board:

  • Level of rent or rent increase
  • Utility bills such as water and heating
  • Issues related to repayment of housing deposit

​Read more about typical renting costs in Copenhagen here

4. Rent guide 

If you think that you are paying too much in rent, you can use Rent Guide to check if your rent is too high. If you wish to seek compensation from your landlord or housing administration, you can also let them handle your case with the local housing board. You are only required to pay if the case is won. 

Read more about Rent Guide