Change your health insurance group
When you apply for a CPR number, you also receive a Yellow Health Card. All residents in Copenhagen are automatically placed under Group 1 health insurance. However, you can switch to Group 2 if it meets your needs.
Types of national health insurance groups
- When you are a member of group 1, you are registered with a doctor or a general practitioner (GP). This means that you have free access to medical treatment, counselling and guidance from your doctor.
- Specialist treatment is free. You need a referral from your doctor who will decide if you require specialist treatment.
- The National Health Insurance covers all expenses for general medical care and subsidises certain services.
- If you are a member of group 2, you must pay a fee to the GP. The National Health Insurance will reimburse an amount corresponding to the expense incurred by a Group 1 member. You can get the reimbursement by handing in the bill or sending it to the Folkeregisteret, Nyropsgade 7, 1602 København V - or scan the paid bill and send it via firstname.lastname@example.org or via digital post.
- You may seek treatment from any GP or specialist.
- You do not need a referral from a doctor to see other specialists.
It costs DKK 200 (2019) to change your health insurance group