Leaving Denmark

You must inform the authorities and deregister if you leave the country (holidays excepted).

If you leave Denmark, you have to report the move to the authorities and some of the institutions you have been using while living here.

Deregistration deadline

It does not cost you anything to report your date of departure before the deregistration deadline. But if you miss the deadline, you will receive a fine of DKK 1000 (2021).

You can report your date of departure as early as 4 weeks (28 days) before you leave Denmark and at the latest at the date of departure.

You have to report that you leave if:

  • you will be gone for more than 6 months. Please note that if you go to Denmark on holiday during your stay abroad, this will not interrupt the 6-month period.
  • you are gone for less than 6 months and you sublet or hire out your residence while you are gone. That is also called giving up the right of disposal.

You must report this using the online self-service solution below before you leave.

Questions and answers

What should I be aware of when moving out of my home?

Before leaving you have to consider practical matters regarding:

  • bank and insurance
  • deregistering children in institutions
  • your address and the possibility of having your mail forwarded
  • notify the Danish Tax Agency
  • termination of leases, etc
  • your gas, water and heating supplies.

You can read more about these practicalities at

Moving to Greenland

If you are moving to Greenland, this is not considered as moving abroad. Simply report the change of address to your new municipality in Greenland.

How do I take my children out of school?

When you leave Denmark you must deregister your children from school. You can use the self-service link below.

Link to the online self-service in Danish

If you do not have NemID or for some other reason cannot use the online self-service, you can contact The Placement Service (Pladsanvisningen)

If you do not have NemID

If you do not have a NemID, you must contact Copenhagen Citizen Service, register your departure and return your health insurance card. If you live outside Copenhagen, you should contact your local citizen service centre. 

You must register your that you are leaving Denmark no later than five days after your date of departure.


Phone opening hours


08:00 - 17:00


08:00 - 17:00


08:00 - 17:00


08:00 - 17:00


08:00 - 17:00