Having an abortion in Denmark
If you wish to have an abortion, you should contact your doctor. The name of your assigned doctor is written on your Yellow Health Card (sygesikringsbevis).
Before visiting the doctor:
- Bring an ID card or some other form of identification
- If you are under the age of 18, you have to come with a parent, or a parental or guardian consent
- In exceptional cases, a girl under the age of 18 may be authorised to undergo an abortion without parental consent
- After consultation, the doctor will recommend either medical or surgical abortion and ask you to sign a consent form
- After 0-2 weeks you will be called in to a preliminary examination at a gynaecological outpatient clinic.
The abortion is carried out a by a specialist. You will be provided with information on contraception and support available after the procedure.
The cost of an abortion is covered by the public health system, but the following conditions must be met in order to have an abortion:
- Abortion can be carried out during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy
- If you are not a resident, but you are over 18, you may still request an abortion in Denmark.
- In certain cases, it is possible to terminate a pregnancy more than 12 weeks after conception, but only if the woman's life is in danger, if the pregnancy was the result of rape or if the fetus shows signs of severe and incurable illness or disability. At least 2 doctors and one person from the local municipality must approve of this decision.
Find further information on abortion on sundhed.dk (in Danish).