Register a marriage that took place abroad

If you got married abroad and would like to have your marriage registered in Denmark, you can do this online with MitID.

You will be asked to provide and upload

  • a copy of your marriage certificate in English, German, or French
  • a copy of your passport or driving licence.

If the marriage took place in an EU country, Turkey, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand, the documents listed above are sufficient for registration in the Civil Registration System (CPR).

If the marriage took place in a different country than the ones listed above, the National Register (Folkeregisteret) in the City of Copenhagen will usually need additional documentation before they can register the marriage in the Civil Registration System (CPR). In this case, you will receive a letter via Digital Post regarding the next steps.

Register a marriage

Please note that this form is in Danish.

If you don't have MitID

If you don't have MitID, you're welcome to give Folkeregisteret a call at 33 66 33 66.


Københavns Folkeregister

Phone opening hours


10:00 - 13:00


10:00 - 13:00


10:00 - 13:00


10:00 - 13:00