Register a marriage that took place abroad

If you got married abroad and would like to have your marriage registered in Denmark, you can do this online with NemID.

You will be asked to provide and upload

  • a copy of your marriage certificate in English, German, or French
  • a copy of your passport or driving licence.

If the marriage took place in an EU country, in Turkey, USA, Canada, Australia, or in New Zealand, registration in the Civil Registration System (CPR) will afterward have occurred automatically.

If the marriage took place in a different country, the National Register in the City of Copenhagen will usually need additional documentation before they can register the marriage in the Civil Registration System (CPR). In this case, therefore, you will receive a letter via Digital Post regarding the next steps.

If you do not have a NemID, you can call the National Register at 33 66 33 66 instead.


Phone opening hours


10:00 - 13:00


10:00 - 13:00


10:00 - 13:00


10:00 - 13:00