Register a death that took place abroad

If you want to register a death that happened abroad, you can do it online with MitID.

You will be asked to attach a copy of the death certificate in English, German or French and a copy of your passport or driver's license.

If the death occurred in an EU country, Turkey, the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand, it is automatically registered in the Central Personal Register (CPR).

If the death occurred in another country than the ones above-mentioned, the Danish National Register (Folkeregistret) in the City of Copenhagen will ask you for additional documentation in order to be able to register it in the CPR register. In that case, you will receive a letter with Digital Post regarding the further process.

If you don't have MitID

If you don't have MitID, you're welcome to give Folkeregisteret a call at 33 66 33 66.

Register a death

Please note that this form is in Danish.

Københavns Folkeregister

Phone opening hours


10:00 - 13:00


10:00 - 13:00


10:00 - 13:00


10:00 - 13:00