When you arrive

As a newcomer in Copenhagen you need to take certain actions in order to get registered as a citizen.

Arriving in Copenhagen

Find a home

Finding a place to live is often difficult. Get started as soon as possible, especially if you plan on renting or buying a home in the city center. Get more information about finding a home or at

Be aware that you cannot apply for a CPR number before you have found a place to live and actually live at the address.

You might be able to get Housing Benefits, so called Boligstøtte. You can check this as soon as you have moved to Denmark and hold a NemID – see the tab 'When you arrive'.

Apply for EU residence document

If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen and your stay lasts more than three months, you must apply for an EU residence document.

Book an appointment at or visit SIRI Copenhagen's Main Office.

Register for a CPR number/Health Insurance Card

If you stay more than three months, you need to apply for a CPR number. You use your CPR number in many situations: to get your salary, to transfer money, to buy a place to live, to get an insurance policy, when you are at the doctor and library, etc.

Please apply for your CPR number at

You can fill in the application whenever you please – but no earlier than 1 month before the date you move into your Danish home.

You will be called in for a final approval, when the International Citizen Service (located at International House Copenhagen) has processed your application.

Please note that if you are actively seeking a job in Denmark, you can stay in the country for up to six months before you register for a CPR number.

If you live in Greater Copenhagen, you also need to apply for your CPR number online. See the list of municipalities on Zealand, that International House Copenhagen cooperates

Get NemID and Digital Post

After you get your CPR-number, you will receive a health insurance card (yellow card) within 2-4 weeks, and then you can request a NemID.

NemID is a digital signature, you can use to do your online banking, get information from the public authorities or engage with one of the many businesses that use NemID.

Once you have your NemID, you can use Digital Post (e-boks) where you will receive e-mails from public authorities.

Get information about Danish tax affairs

SKAT (the tax office) has made a guide for you.

Open a bank account/NemKonto

When you have a place to live and a CPR number, you are ready to choose a bank and open a bank account.
Locals usually use Dankort, the most common cash card, and Mobilepay, a smartphone app for credit card payments.
Read more about opening a bank account.

Check utilities, media license and insurances

You need to sign up for services such as electricity when moving into your residence.

You can read about mandatory insurances (for instance a dog insurance if you have a dog) at

Sign up for Danish classes

Courses and educational programs are available if you need to improve your Danish language skills.

Change your address

If you get another place to live in Denmark, don’t forget to change your address within 5 days of moving and reorder a health insurance card.

If you become sick or need to call the police

Once you have your CPR number, you can schedule an appointment with your doctor - find the number on the top left side of your yellow card. Almost all examinations, etc., are free of charge.

Call 1813 if you live in Copenhagen and you need a doctor outside of your doctor’s opening hours.

Call 112 if you need emergency assistance (police, ambulance, fire department).

Call 114 if you need general police assistance.


International House

Nyropsgade 1

1602 København V