Where do I go if I wish to have an abortion?
If you wish to have an abortion you should contact your doctor.
If you don't know who your doctor is, you can find the name of your assigned doctor on your yellow Health Insurance Card (sygesikringsbevis). You get a Health Insurance Card, when you register your address in Denmark. Read more here: How do I order a Health Insurance Card (the yellow card)?
Good to know before visiting the doctor:
- You have to bring an ID card or some other form of identification.
- If you are under the age of 18, you have to come with a parent, or a parental or guardian consent.
- In exceptional cases a girl under the age of 18 may be authorised to undergo an abortion without parental consent.
- After an interview the doctor refers you to a medical or surgical abortion and asks you to sign a consent form.
- After 0-2 weeks you will be called in to a preliminary examination at a gynaecological outpatient clinic.
The abortion is carried out a by a specialist doctor. You will be provided with information on contraception and support available after the procedure.
Women, who do not speak Danish, can request that an interpreter be present for appointments with a doctor or nurse or in a hospital. An interpreter is provided free of charge.
The cost of an abortion is covered by the public health system, but the following rules must be met in order to have an abortion:
- Abortion can be carried out only before 12 weeks from conception.
- If you are not a resident, but you are over 18, you may still request an abortion in Denmark.
- In certain cases it is possible to terminate a pregnancy more than 12 weeks after conception, but only if the woman's life is in danger, if the pregnancy was the result of rape, or if the fetus shows signs of severe and incurable illness or disability. At least 2 doctors and one person from the local municipality must approve this decision.
At The Danish Family Planning Association (Sex & Samfund) you can also find information on sexual health, pregnancy and contraceptive methods.