What are my rights when I am unemployed?

If you lose your job, you have different options of receiving financial support and get help searching for a new job.

If you have lost your job, you are entitled to advice and guidance from a job centre.

If you do not find a job right away, the job centre will make a plan for your job search and present different types of activities that can help you finding a job.

Read more about these activities at How can the job centre help me find a job? 

Financial support when you are unemployed

When you are unemployed, you can receive 2 different types of benefits:

  • Unemployment benefits (dagpenge) that you are entitled to if you have been a member of an unemployment fund (a-kasse) when you were working. Learn more about unemployment benefits here. See also What are unemployment benefits (dagpenge)? 
  • Cash benefits which is a basic allowance that is given to unemployed people without unemployment insurance. Learn more about cash benefits (kontanthjælp)