The driving licence from specific countries may also be swapped into a Danish licence without having to take a test. Here you can see the list of countries where these rules apply.
- Capitol Territory (Australia)
- Isle of Man
- Republic of Korea (South Korea)
- Chinese Taipei (Taiwan)
- New Zealand
You can only get a licence for a normal car (category B), if you have additional categories on your licence and you want these on your Danish license you have to take both a theoretical and practical test.
The licence has to be valid, if it is not valid, you have to take both a theoretical and practical test before you can get a Danish licence.
If the license is issued on behalf of a license from a country which is not covered by the rules you can only swap it to a Danish license if you take both a theoretical and a practical test. See the rules for the exchange
Your driving licence has to be issued either before you entered Denmark or in a period of at least 6 month where you have not had an officially registered address in Denmark. If your driving license is issued after you have taken up residence in Denmark you need to bring documentation for that you have had a license issued before you entered Denmark. If there are no issue date on your license you also have to bring documentation for the 1. Issue date of your license.
You have had your license for at least 2 years or more, you have been driving for the past 2 years and your license hasn’t been revoked for the last 5 years. You have to fill out a statement regarding this (indsæt erklæring)
You need to make an appointment with Borgerservice and then meet up in person and bring the following documents:
- A medical certificate issued by your own doctor no longer that 3 months ago in a sealed envelope.
- A photo together with the medical certificate stamped by your own doctor. The photo must comply with the driving license photo requirements, which you can see at the Police's website.
- Your driving licence.
- Residence Permit, if you are a Nordic citizen bring your passport.
- A translation if the driving licence is not written in English or is not issued in accordance with the EU model.
- Cash, card, dankort/visa-dankort or Mobilepay for payment of the swap.