The driving licence from specific countries may also be swapped into a Danish licence without having to take a test. Here you can see the list of countries where these rules apply.
- Capitol Territory (Australia)
- Isle of Man
- Republic of Korea (South Korea)
- Chinese Taipei (Taiwan)
- New Zealand
You can only get a licence for a normal car (category B), if you have additional categories on your licence and you want these on your Danish licence, you have to take both a theoretical and practical test.
If your licence is not valid, you have to take both a theoretical and practical test before you can get a Danish licence.
If the licence is issued on behalf of a licence from a country which is not covered by the rules, you can only swap it to a Danish licence if you take both a theoretical and a practical test.c
Your driving licence has to be issued either before you enter Denmark or in a period of at least 6 month where you have not had an officially registered address in Denmark. If your driving licensc is issued after you have taken up residence in Denmark, you need to bring documentation to prove that you have had a licence issued before you entered Denmark. If there are no issue date on your licence, you also need additional documentation.
You have had your licence for at least 2 years or more, you have been driving for the past 2 years and your licence hasn’t been revoked for the last 5 years. You have to fill out a statement regarding this when you go to Borgerservice to exchange your licence.
You need to make an appointment with Borgerservice and then meet up in person and bring the following documents:
- A medical certificate issued by your own doctor no longer that 3 months ago in a sealed envelope.
- A photo that complies with the driving licence photo requirements, which you can see at the Police's website.
- Your driving licence.
- Residence Permit if you are from a non EU country.
- Passport if you are a Nordic citizen.
- Yellow health card if you are a citizen in a EU country.
- A translation if the driving licence is not written in English or is not issued in accordance with the EU model.
- Cash, card, dankort/visa-dankort or Mobilepay for payment of the swap.