You are here

How do non-Danish speaking children start in school?

Non-Danish speaking children will go to public school, where it will be taken in consideration, that the child does not know Danish yet.

To enrol your child into a public school, you and your child need to have a registered address in Copenhagen and your stay in Copenhagen needs to be for a period of more than 6 months. Your child does not need a CPR-number to start school – the enrolment process can start immediately after you have a registered address.

If you are not yet living in Copenhagen, but only need advice and guidance regarding school when moving here, please contact one of the local area offices shown in the table below.

Enrolment procedure from 1 January 2019

Contact the local area office (see map below) that your family belongs to according to your address. See addresses and contact information for the local area offices in the schedule below.

The following information is needed from you when contacting the local area office:

  • Name of the child
  • Date of birth (date-month-year) or CPR-number
  • Address
  • Parents' contact information (email and/or telephone number)
  • Country of origin
  • The child´s most fluent language

The coordinator from the local area office will then invite you and your child to a meeting to uncover your child´s needs, skills, languages as well as literacy and numeracy – all this to make sure that your child will have the best individual offer for school.

After this, the teacher and the coordinator will recommend either a normal class with extra language support, or a reception class. Please read more in the text below regarding reception classes and options in public schools.

Map with local area offices - search for your address and click on the map for contact information