You are here

How do I get a legal separation and divorce?

If you and your partner decide to separate, then you can get a legal separation or a divorce.

What are my rights in the event of a legal separation or a divorce?

It is your right to get divorced or legally separated. In order to do so, you need to contact the State Administration (Statsforvaltningen). You can read a lot more about legal separation and divorce on their English homepage.

Read about legal separation at the State Administration's website

Read about divorce at the State Administration's website.

Legal assistance

You can contact Copenhagen Legal Aid (Københavns Retshjælp) if you need legal help and advice. This is provided free of charge.

Read more about Copenhagen Legal Aid at Can I get legal aid?

The Copenhagen Legal Aid website in English

How much will separation or divorce cost me?

You need to pay a fee to be separated or divorced. The State Administration may not begin processing your case until they have received the fee.


  • A separation costs DKK 420.
  • A divorce costs DKK 420.
  • A negotiation of conditions costs an additional DKK 950.

If you get separated before divorcing you have to pay both the fee for the separation and the fee for the divorce.

Read more about the fees and prices on The State Administration’s English website.

How do I initiate a divorce?

You have to send an application for separation or divorce to Statsforvaltningen (The State Administration).

Read more and find the application forms on The State Administration’s English website.

If you and your spouse disagree on the terms of the divorce, you will be called in for a meeting to negotiate the terms and conditions of the divorce. The State Administration may put a divorce case before the court if it is considered that the divorce and its terms are questionable.