You are here

How do I apply for a residence and work permit?

If you are a citizen of a country outside the Nordic countries or the EEU/EEA your options depend on various factors.

Whether you can obtain a residence and work permit depends, first and foremost, on your qualifications.

At New to Denmark you can read about the application process and the requirements for residence. Residence and work permits are issued by two authorities in Denmark and if you need further information you should contact the relevant authority.

The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI)

A number of schemes have been designed in order to make it possible for highly qualified professionals to get a residence and work permit in Denmark:

  • The Positive List , The Pay Limit scheme and The Fast-track scheme
  • Researchers and guest researchers
  • The Start-up Denmark scheme enables entrepreneurs to operate a company in Denmark.
  • The Establishment Card enables foreign nationals who complete a Danish Master's (Candidatus) degree or a Danish PhD degree to get a residence permit in order to establish themselves in Denmark after graduating.
  • Trainees can work in a Danish company for a period of time for educational and training purposes.
  • A residence and work permit can be granted to foreign nationals with special individual qualifications such as artists, professional athletes and specialised chefs.
  • Herdsmen and farm managers in agriculture
  • Work on oil rigs, drillships and other moveable work stations temporarily situated on Danish territory.
  • PhD and Study
  • Au pairs
  • Interns and Working Holidays

The Danish Immigration Service

  • Family reunification
  • Asylum
  • Humanitarian residence permit
  • Religious workers
  • Permanent residence permit

Read more