You are here
Cycling rules in Copenhagen
Cycling is one of the best things you can do for your health and the environment. Follow the rules below and have a safe and enjoyable cycling experience in Copenhagen.
Basic cycling rules
- Always use a bike lane
- Keep to your right
- Use hand signals. Put your hand up in the air before you stop and signal to your right before turning
- Get off your bike and walk on pavements or pedestrian crossings
- Look over your left shoulder before you overtake other cyclists
- Put on your bike lights after dark so that you don't get fined. A white light at the front and a red light at the back are required
- It is illegal to make a direct left turn at an intersection. Ride straight across to the opposite right corner of the intersection, stop and wait for the traffic light to turn green before you go
- Give way to pedestrians at intersections, traffic lights and bus stops
Cycling rules also apply to electric scooter users
Always follow the rules that apply to cyclists when you use an electric scooter. Park your e-scooter responsibly after you have finished your ride to keep the streets safe for pedestrians and cyclists.