You are here
Are we eligible for child care benefits (børnepenge)?
To get child care benefits you have to meet certain criteria:
If you are a foreigner and work in Denmark, you may apply for child care benefits if you:
- share custody of the child.
- can document that you are related to the child.
- are a citizen in an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or Lichtenstein, if your child does not live in Denmark.
Additionally, during the last 10 years you must have had an address or employment in Denmark for:
- 6 months in order to have earned 25 percent of the total benefit.
- 1 year in order to have earned 50 percent of the total benefit.
- 1.5 years in order to have earned 75 percent of the total benefit.
- 2 years in order to have earned the total benefit.
If you are a citizen in an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or Lichtenstein and want to know more about your rights when living or working in Denmark, you have to contact the authorities in your home country.
If you or your children do not live in Denmark
You are entitled to receive the child care benefits even if you or your children do not live in Denmark if you meet statutory requirements for payment of child care benefits.
It can take up to 3-4 months to receive the child care benefits. You must fill in a special form which will be sent to your home country.
For further information please contact Udbetaling Danmark phone 70 12 80 62.
In addition to the child care benefits, you can also receive a special child allowance which is paid in different situations – e.g. if you are a single provider. If you want to know more about child allowance, you are welcome to contact Udbetaling Danmark by phone: +45 70 12 80 62.