What should I be aware of when moving out of my home?

If you move you must report it whether you leave the country or move within Denmark.

You have to report that you leave if

  • you will be gone for more than 6 months. Please note that if you go to Denmark on holiday during your stay abroad, this will not interrupt the 6 months' period.
  • you are gone for less than 6 months and you sublet or hire out your residence while you are gone. That is also called giving up the right of disposal.

If you are moving abroad or if you are going to stay abroad for a longer period of time, you must report this using the digital self-service solution below before you leave.

Please note that you can change language to English or German after NemID login. What should I do when I leave Denmark.

Before leaving you have to consider practical matters regarding:

  • bank and insurance.
  • deregistering children in institutions.
  • your address and the possibility of having your mail forwarded.
  • notify SKAT.
  • termination of leases, etc.
  • you gas, water and heating supplies.

You can read more about these practicalities at lifeindenmark.dk

Moving to Greenland

If you are moving to Greenland, this is not considered as moving abroad. Simply report the change of address to your new municipality in Greenland.

If you move to a different address in Denmark

When you move to an address in the City of Copenhagen, you must report the change of address. At the same time, you can choose a new doctor (GP).

Go to How do I register my change address? for more information.

It is free of charge to report the change of address. But you must report the change of address not later than five days after you have moved. If you do not observe this deadline, you may be fined.  

Please note:

  • You can report the change of address up to four weeks before you move.
  • If you move from Copenhagen to another municipality, you must report your new address to the new municipality. You can find your new municipality at borger.dk.
  • Post Danmark is not automatically notified of the change of address. For this reason, you should also report your change of address to Post Danmark's self-service solution, if you want to receive mail on your new address.