You are here

How do I get an EU registration certificate?

Citizens of EU, EEA countries and Switzerland have to apply for an EU registration certificate if they stay for more than 3 months.

You can stay in Denmark for up to 3 months without a registration certificate. If you expect that your stay in Denmark will last more than 3 months, you need to apply for an EU residence document before the three months have expired.

If you are a jobseeker you can stay for up to 6 months, calculated from your day of entry, before you have to register.

An EU residence document is your proof that as an EU citizen - or as family member of an EU citizen - you have a right to reside in Denmark.

You can get a registration certificate if you are a:

  • worker
  • self-employed person
  • student
  • have sufficient resources
  • family member

Read more about who can get a registration certificate 

You can apply for your registration certificate at International Citizen Service or at the State Administration main office

International Citizen Service
Gyldenløvesgade 11,
1600 Copenhagen V
Phone: +45 33 66 66 06

Opening hours
Monday-Wednesday: 10:00 -15:00
Thursday: 11:00 -15:00
Friday: 10:00 - 14:00

The State Administration issues registration certificates on the spot at the International Citizen Service on Wednesdays and Thursdays for those who have scheduled an appointment. 

If you have any questions, please call the EU phone: +45 72 56 70 36

If you would prefer an appointment right away, you can visit the main office:

The State Administration (Statsforvaltningen)
Ellebjergvej 52
2450 Copenhagen SV

Processing time 

Opening hours:
Monday - Wednesday: 8.00 - 14.00,
Thursday: 12.00 - 16.00,
Friday: 8.00 - 14.00

Remember to bring:

  • Your passport or national ID-card (and a colour copy of the passport/ID-card).
  • A completed OD1 application form (for each applicant, including children)
  • One passport picture (two if you are not an EU-citizen)

Documentation for the basis on which you are applying for registration:


  • Employer’s declaration (Appendix A in the application form)
  • or Employment contract.
  • The document must be dated and signed not more than 30 days before the application is submitted.


  • Budget covering the first year of operation drawn up by a registered public accountant or a state-authorized public accountant
  • if you already have a CVR-number: proof of registration at the Danish Commerce and Companies Agency
  • lease agreement that states where the activity is based (if applicable).


  • Acceptance letter from an educational institution that is approved by the Danish Ministry of Education.

Special service for EU students in January and February

Sufficient funds:

  • Documentation for sufficient resources to finance your stay: e.g. bank statement from an account in your name, or a declaration from your employer outside Denmark,
  • Or other documents proving that you can provide for yourself while living in Denmark.
  • If another person is willing to assume responsibility for your subsistence, that person will be asked to provide the same documentation and to fill out a declaration regarding support.

Family member of an EU-citizen living in Denmark:

  • Documentation of a familial relationship with the EU-citizen:
  • Marriage certificate and/or birth certificate. If the spouse is not from an EU country, please check if a legalization (Apostille) of the marriage certificate is necessary, convention
  • If you are a cohabiting couple:
    Documentation that you have been living together for a minimum of 1½-2 years (lease, rent receipt, owner contract etc.)
  • Documentation for your spouse’s or parent’s basis of stay.

Read more about application and documentation