How do I get a Danish passport as a foreigner?
If this is not possible, please contact Udlændingeservice (the Danish Immigration Service).
As a foreign citizen in Copenhagen you can get two types of passport:
- Danish travel documents
- A Danish alien's passport
Some foreign nationals cannot obtain a passport from the authorities in the country of which they are a citizen.
Foreign nationals who hold a Danish residence permit as a refugee cannot be required to apply for a passport from the authorities in the country of which they are a citizen. Consequently, they are entitled to a passport issued by the Danish authorities.
Regarding stateless residents
Foreign nationals who hold a Danish residence permit, and who have been recognised as stateless in accordance with the United Nations Convention of 28 September 1954 about the legal rights of stateless individuals, are entitled to a Danish alien's passport which states that the holder has been recognised as stateless in accordance with the convention.
The Immigration Service can also issue a Danish alien's passport to other foreign nationals who hold a Danish residence permit, for example, as a family reunified person, if the authorities in the country of which they are a national will not issue a national passport.
In order to get a passport in Copenhagen you must appear in person on Københavns Borgerservice (LINK) or on Borgerservice KVIK, which can be found on these libraries:
- Sundby Bibliotek
- Valby BIbliotek
- Øbro Jagtvej Bibliotek
- Kulturstationen Vanløse
- Biblioteket på Rentemestervej
Remember to bring:
- Your your old passport. If you do not have a passport already, you must bring other valid identification – such as a driving licence in credit card size or original name/birth certificate
- Bring a photo, that complies with the rules for passports. You can also have your photo taken when you order the passport. It will cost you a fee of DKK 95.
You have to pay for the passport and the photo (if taken at Borgerservice) when ordering.
Fees vary by age of applicant:
- 65 years or older: DKK 376
- 18-64 years: DKK 626
- 12-17 years: DKK 141
- 11 years or younger: DKK 115
Save time: Avoid the queue and book an appointment. This is only possible at Borgerservice Sundby.